Thursday, July 8, 2010

I like warm; I don't like hot

This pretty much sums up how the weather in Victoria makes me feel at the moment:


It hit 33C (with a 'feels like 36C') which I know isn't that hot compared to Tindouf, Algeria which is projected to it 47C tomorrow (!!!) but I have Irish blood coursing through my body. We don't really 'do' heat. I mean, we do it all right beside a pool with a drink in our hand and an umbrella above us but not when there's day-to-day chores activities to be done. The only beings who seemed even more unimpressed by this mini-heat wave are my cats who have taken to laying down with such a resounding thud, I am sure the people in the apartment below will complain at some point.

It was in the midst of this mini-heat wave that I began my doundoun dance class. What better way to spend the hottest day of the year so far than in a dance studio with no AC jumping around beating a drum while you dance? I really didn't dance as hard as I could have that day, going through the movements without adding the hops and skips that make it such an incredible cardio workout, but I still found myself drenched with sweat by the time the class was over. I can't tell you how relieved I was when my suggestion to THR that we forgo our run that night and instead meet up for a beer and gossip was met with a positive response.

If the weather stays like this, I'm going to have to find an indoor, air-conditioned track to do my training on. I wonder how work would feel about me doing laps around the office...

No comments: