Saturday, October 16, 2010

I Counted Sheep So Many Times, I Knew Them By Name

It has been a really bad week for healthy choices and workouts. It all stems from the fact that I did something to my sleep pattern last weekend and it messed me up all week! Bah! I was finally forced to take a sleep-aid (*ahem* a hot toddy, to be exact) to get myself back into my normal pattern.

My internal clock is really good at resetting itself. I attribute this to all the travel to Ireland I did growing up, but it causes problems for me now because if I stay up too late for two nights in a row, I'm hooped. My body will think that's my new bedtime. Last weekend, I was up past midnight on Friday and Saturday so despite being in bed at 10:00pm every night this week, I'd toss and turn until 1:00am. Morning yoga got skipped in favour of more sleep, after work workouts became internal struggles over doing more and flopping on the ground in a dramatic fashion, and dinners had to be ready in less than 10 minutes because I couldn't be bothered to stand up for any longer than that.

I don't like sleep aids if I'm not actually sick because I have a fear of becoming dependent on them. For me, this fear is pretty irrational (like my fear of moving scarecrows) because I can honestly count the number of times I've used them on one hand. (When I'm sick, however, I will down NeoCitran like I think it's water.) A Hot Toddy on Thursday night was my compromise. I'm pretty sure that after I finished the Hot Toddy, I could have slept anywhere. Sort of like this guy:

Heyna sleeping in mud puddle, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania

I really wish I had done it earlier in the week because Friday was the first day I did not feel lethargic and grumpy. Friday night's workout was the only one where I really felt like I kicked butt too. Coincidence? HELLS NO! I'm looking forward to being back on the sleep train this week and seeing how much better my choices are because of it.

How do you react to a lack of sleep?

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I react to a lack of sleep very poorly...I need lots to make up my deficit and if the lack of sleep lasts for more than a few days, migraine time...not fun! My body likes to sleep but it will wake me up after about nine hours, so I just need to get myself to bed at a decent hour and it's all good...NeoCitran+a cold/flu I will do occasionally - my husband is like you and drinks it like water.