Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Classically Inspired

It's been a great week so far for the moving and shaking. I've had a busy week with barely enough time to watch Beauty and the Beast last night but I feel so great after all the activity I've been fitting in. I don't know if it's because I'm coming back after being sick or if we did a lot more leg work than normal in the flamenco class on Monday, but my legs were aching so much on Tuesday.

I uploaded a bunch of classical music to my mp3 player over the weekend and I really wish I had done it sooner because I forgot how much classical music makes me want to run, jump, turn, dance, leap, kick, twist, and just generally move my body. I went for a walk on my lunch listening to Tchaikovsky's Montagues and Capulets (it's the music at 1:30) and I found myself wanting to do grand battements down the sidewalk.(That's a fancy dancer-ish way of saying I wanted to goosestep, but can't you hear why?)

When I listen to the classical music, my body just reacts without my even noticing. I walk taller and smile more, for starters, but I also caught myself doing the chassé as I walked around my office. It's obvious to me that I need to add some classical music into my workout mix... or I need to convince the powers-that-be to put some treadmills in the Royal Theatre.

See? They totally want to serenade me on my runs! [Source]

What types of music do you listen to while you workout?

No comments: