Sunday, June 3, 2012

How to Get a Nerd to Run

I knew that I had to start running on Thursday but by lunch time, I had excuses out my wazoo. Well, one excuse, really. I wasn't over my cold so how could I go running? I spent my afternoon arguing with myself between going and not going. I was on the losing end of the battle when a friend texted me.

So, one of the newly painted poles in Fernwood has a TARDIS on it.

A week ago, our community of Fernwood held its annual pole painting day. One of the new poles had a TARDIS? My day was made! The only problem was that when I asked where it was, the response was "It's the one in front of the cool old house with a porch." That's as helpful as someone in Martha's Vineyard describing it as 'the house on the water'.

Obviously I had to go for a run to see if I could find the TARDIS pole.

Once I got out, I was so happy I had made the effort to get out the door. The evening was cool but dry, the running portions felt great, and although my cardio is not what it was I didn't feel like I was going to die. I even challenged myself with a couple of short but steep hills.

More importantly, I found the TARDIS pole. Wouldn't you know it, it was in front of a cool old house with a porch.

Tonight's run, sadly, didn't feel as great as Thursday's. That has less to do with running and more to do with two 2am nights in a row! I'm sure tomorrow's run will feel more like Thursday.

No comments: