Friday, May 25, 2012

Making Wise Decisions

I debated long and hard about starting my 10K training this week. Following the plan, this would have allowed for a week 'off' prior to the 10K when I'll be in Alberta visiting family. I told myself I would use that week doing more casual jogs than worrying about the training plan, allowing me to tailor the length of the runs around my family's schedule.

In the end, I decided that I know me too well and my week 'off' would just end up being a week off. "10K? What 10K? Pass me another Molson's while I reload the rifle!" (Full disclosure: neither of these are things I've done in Alberta, they just sound like things other Canadians would expect an Albertan to say. I can, however, tell from the cloud formations when a chinook is coming - thanks Grandpa - so I've got some Southern Alberta cred.) While I felt like I was taking the lazy way out by not jumping on the workout wagon right away, I need that training plan to keep me running during that week in Alberta. I assured myself that I was making the right choice.

Am I ever glad I reasoned that out.

Tonight is the first night I haven't had something planned all week (so I've decided to spend it making my first ever fondant cake). It's also my last week at my old job so there's the added work stress of training my replacement and cleaning out my cubicle. Add to that my cats and their 4am games of tag they've been having every night this week. If I had tried to add running there, well, this post would look like my cats had typed it.

Sometimes the lazy decision turns out to be the right decision.

 Not normally but sometimes.

2 comments:

Erika said...

A destination run - how fun! You should be tapering anyway in that last week before the event so don't feel too bad if you don't get all your runs in. I walk/jog 4-5 times a week at various distances, often after work. Let me know if you ever want to come with! I love having company.

AndreaClaire said...

The taper is built into the training plan so the distances aren't too bad in that last week.

I'd definitely love to join you. Probably in a few weeks when I'm feeling a little less like zombie fodder as I run.