Wednesday, February 16, 2011

To Knee or Not to Knee...

I am once again handicapped in my workouts because of my knee. I slept badly one night and woke up with a sore back. When my knee and hip on the same side of my body started to ache later that same day, I figured it was because I was walking oddly because my my back.

The back pain cleared up within two days, the hip around the same time, but the knee pain lingered... and lingered... and here I am one day shy of two weeks later and my knee is still very sore. Last week I pushed through it because it was sore but it didn't hurt. I went running on Tuesday morning and Thursday evening (with the Swede) and although it felt a little sore the day after, it always felt great during the run and immediately after.

Saturday, however, I cut my run short because my knee didn't feel right. It didn't hurt, but I didn't want to push it any further. I ended up just going for an extended walk.

Cut to Monday. I treated myself to lunch at Pig as I hadn't been to their new location (although I was a very regular customer at the old hole-in-the-wall). While waiting for my to-go order to be called, I dropped my key pass on the ground. I squatted down to pick it up and the pain was so intense that my eyes welled up with tears as I gasped loudly enough for a few heads to turn towards me.

Tuesday, the same thing happened when I squatted down to check on my cat who was having some problems coughing up a hairball. I think the noise I made in reaction to the pain scared the hairball out of her.

Today, well today it aches every time I stand up. This is not good.

Dance and running are (temporarily, I hope) cancelled while I ice like crazy. I'm giving myself until Friday and if it's not better, I'm making a doctors appointment for next week. This is something that needs to be solved, not just for running but for for life in general.

No comments: