Thursday, January 7, 2010

Want anything from the shop?


Thanks to Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, the answer to the above question is, and always will be, "Cornetto." Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are the writing team behind 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz', both take-offs of the horror and cop/buddy drama genres respectively. These are the first two instalements of the "Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy" (Simon Pegg has claimed on Twitter that writing on the third film will be completed this year). I decided, when I got up this morning, that I was going to put these two movies on while I did various chores around the apartment however, I forgot the awesome product placement which always ends with me wanting a Cornetto (well, actually a Nestle Drumstick as we don't actually have Cornettos here, or at least I can't find them). The one upside is that this did get me out and about on a day when I had no apartment leaving activities planned.


At this point you're probably trying to figure out why I'm telling you about Cornetto's and my need to eat one after I watch the above movies. What, you may be asking yourself, does this have to do with ChilkootChubby? And ultimately, isn't eatting a Cornetto counterproductive to your goal? Well, yes it is, but the reason for my popping in movies this morning is very much in keeping with my goal. I woke up this morning and like so many other mornings that I'm not working, I sat down with my cup of tea and laptop to check my email, but unlike so many other mornings I didn't turn on the tv because, well, I can't. I've cancelled my cable.


I've been toying with the idea for quite some time, debating the pros and cons of doing it, but with the final season of LOST coming up I figured I'd just keep it until that was done and then I'd debate getting ride of it. One evening, however, something inside me just snapped and I immediately phoned and cancelled. I don't know if it was the realisation that I had spent four hours just watching tv and couldn't even tell you what I had watched, or if I realised I was trying to plan my exercise schedule around certain programs, or maybe I had just reached 'that point' in my decision making. If I'm not really sure, then who is? I practically begged them on the phone to come right then and there; I had made up my mind, and like removing a bandaid, I wanted the quick response. Gone, done, finito, before I had a chance to change my mind.


It's not until the cable was actually gone that I realised what a habit it was in my life. Even doing housechores, I'll put the tv on in the background. Today, I chose to fill that background void with movies I hadn't watched in a while (hence the Cornetto intro) but I still found myself wanting to randomly and mindlessly flip to see what was on certain channels. I felt a slight sadness at certain points during the day, but then I went to figure out workout times and suddenly I had hours of free time. Hours! *Poof* and the idea of no cable became very liberating.


As for the shows I like, I've already discovered that the Daily Show is available within 24hrs on the Comedy Network webpage, LOST is big enough that I don't feel guilty about perhaps aquiring it by 'other means', my other current sci-fi favourite is a family affair so I'll just continue to watch it with them, and the rest of them? Well, Mythbusters and Destination Truth I'll miss but I think I'll survive without the rest.

2 comments:

The Happy Ranter said...

Mmmm cornetto....
But more importantly, WTF you got rid of cable? I wish I could, but I can't. I admit it. I'm a slave to tv.

AndreaClaire said...

Hence why I pretty much begged them to come right then and there. I knew that if they took too long, I'd just change my mind! Now I'm just wondering how many times I can watch my movies before I snap ;)

Also, I keep hearing good things about Dexter, perhaps it's time to revisit Hollywood Tonight.